Home – New Forums Marketing mastery your business failures

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sam jones
    • Total posts: 5
    Up
    ::

hi there

i guess this is a subject that not that many people would like to talk about hence rather forget, but im interested in knowing how many failures you have had before you started something that actually worked well enough you could live off of it eventually.

I have had 2 failures, my first was a restaurant/bar that died miserably due to my lack of financial skills and my second failure got great media exposure, but next to noone bought the product because i guess it was just 2 novel and carried a high price tag ( i count this as a failure as i havnt made my money back on it).

lessons learnt i have moved on and im going to try my hand at nutritious cat and dog food home delivered, hence my chef and distribution background

im a optimistic hardworking guy ( with literally nothing left to lose anymore ) but would be good to hear of anyone else that has travelled a similiar path

yourvirtualboard
    • Total posts: 569
    Up

The road to success is littered with failures and most really successful people will tell you they had either a very close call or had to start again at some point (think John Symonds Aussie Home Loans) even Richard Branson had a major flop with Virgin Cola. Me personally I’d count a partnership I once had as a failure as it cost me $14,000 (the price of a great car back then) to walk away and untold stress in the process. If I’d have stayed I guess I’d be talking about losing the family home as well (sometimes good to know when to walk away).

You hit the nail on the head – you need to know what you’re doing and it helps to get expert advice when you might be short on skills. I wonder if some assistance with the financial side of your first business might have made a difference.

I admire those that take life’s lessons and keep going and it sounds like that’s the path you’re headed.

YBBroker
    • Total posts: 37
    Up
    sam jones, post: 52837 wrote:
    hi there

i guess this is a subject that not that many people would like to talk about hence rather forget, but im interested in knowing how many failures you have had before you started something that actually worked well enough you could live off of it eventually.

I have had 2 failures, my first was a restaurant/bar that died miserably due to my lack of financial skills and my second failure got great media exposure, but next to noone bought the product because i guess it was just 2 novel and carried a high price tag ( i count this as a failure as i havnt made my money back on it).

lessons learnt i have moved on and im going to try my hand at nutritious cat and dog food home delivered, hence my chef and distribution background

im a optimistic hardworking guy ( with literally nothing left to lose anymore ) but would be good to hear of anyone else that has travelled a similiar path

I think it’s great to know you’re learning lessons. You’d be amazed at how many people put the blinkers on or play the blame game and never actually learn anything along their journey.

Stick to it and you’ll find a winning formula.

seocourse
    • Total posts: 918
    Up

ohhhh I’m a Ninja in previous online business failures. For each site that makes me profit, I have created 5 loosing sites.

but the best failure (yep best) was in 2004 I was part of a startup scheme for “young future web soloists” sponsored by the European Community.
    I was living in Spain. I got over 55.000 euros and after 2 years I was selling the laptops, the desks and even the chairs of the office on Ebay.

Lost every single penny.

It was great fun. I had 2 useless but gorgeous Spanish sales “chicas” working for me. tons of meeting in the bar, brainstorming, useless online projects and spending the money in things that didn’t make any difference.

^_^

If you are going to fail… do it hard and fast…

ClareS
    • Total posts: 30
    Up

Hi Sam,

I think the number one thing here is that you have picked yourself up again and are trying again. Good for you!
    Places like this small business forum are great for support and ideas and hopefully what you get out of the people here will help you to become a fabulous success.
    Can’t wait to hear how well you go!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.