Home – New Forums Marketing mastery Your Experience with Product Give Aways on Blogs.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    sunnyfox
    • Total posts: 45
    Up
    ::

Hi all,

Recently I have been reading up on marketing ideas for us broke startups. I came across a few articles on offering your products for give aways on blogs with topics similar to your products. I would like to hear about some of your experiences with this, things you found useful or unexpected.

I imagine it is worth trying if for nothing else then to get the experience of dealing with others and to build some confidence in hearing both “yes” and “no”.

Anyway, I would love your input and stories about this.

Thanks guys,

Travis

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up

I’ve done this kind of thing for clients before and it usually works quite well. Just make sure you pick the right blogs because the last thing you need is to give away $100 worth of product with nothing at all in return.

When you find a blog you like get them to send you traffic figures, demographics, and details of previous contests if they’ve run any. Then make a decision based on which one is more likely to get you the right kind of traffic.

Also, and I can’t stress this enough, if you get a gut feeling that the blog owner isn’t trustworthy, run away. I knew someone who gave away $1,000 worth of car security and cleaning products only to find that the blog owner “won”…

sunnyfox
    Up

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the post. Glad to hear it can be a positive experience.

JoshG, post: 165096 wrote:
    When you find a blog you like get them to send you traffic figures, demographics, and details of previous contests if they’ve run any.

Didn’t even think to ask for previous contests, great advice!

JoshG, post: 165096 wrote:
    I can’t stress this enough, if you get a gut feeling that the blog owner isn’t trustworthy, run away. I knew someone who gave away $1,000 worth of car security and cleaning products only to find that the blog owner “won”…

More sound advice.

My products are relatively inexpensive, so would a way to help counter this be to offer the blogger a product to use and keep for their post then offer to send the winner a new product?

Thanks again for sharing,

Travis

JoshG
    • Total posts: 110
    Up
    sunnyfox, post: 165102 wrote:
    My products are relatively inexpensive, so would a way to help counter this be to offer the blogger a product to use and keep for their post then offer to send the winner a new product?

Hi Travis,

This is definitely another option. However, at the risk of information overload and sounding alarms for no reason, Google is apparently cracking down on “advertorials” that aren’t made obvious (i.e. “this post sponsored by…”). But I wouldn’t be too concerned by that yet since it’ll be extremely difficult for them to deal with the issue and I haven’t heard of any action being taken yet.

But it seems like you have the right idea because you seem to be looking at it from the perspective that it will bring relevant traffic and make people aware of your store, rather than from a SEO perspective.

At the end of the day, if you feel like you can trust the blog owner then either option is going to achieve roughly the same thing. You would assume a contest is going to come with a write-up of your product as well (but this is something to ask).

612Sue
    Participant
    • Total posts: 81
    Up

Hi,

I have had a lot of good results sending free samples out to youtube channels for reviews. They are always looking for content and can be quite creative, This also give you some good content for your website, facebook page etc.

Sue
    http://www.survivalstorehouse.com

sunnyfox
    Up
    JoshG, post: 165105 wrote:
    But it seems like you have the right idea because you seem to be looking at it from the perspective that it will bring relevant traffic and make people aware of your store, rather than from a SEO perspective.

That pretty much sums it up, there are way too many conflicting opinions on seo for me to even try to understand how to game the system. Like you said, I am just after a bit of awareness.

Thanks for the follow up.

sunnyfox
    Up
    612Sue, post: 165106 wrote:
    Hi,

I have had a lot of good results sending free samples out to youtube channels for reviews. They are always looking for content and can be quite creative, This also give you some good content for your website, facebook page etc.

Sue
    http://www.survivalstorehouse.com

Hi Sue,

I hadn’t even thought of youtube, great! What better way than a watchable review.

Thanks for posting,

Travis

Jenny Spring
    • Total posts: 597
    Up
    sunnyfox, post: 165092 wrote:
    Hi all,

Recently I have been reading up on marketing ideas for us broke startups. I came across a few articles on offering your products for give aways on blogs with topics similar to your products. I would like to hear about some of your experiences with this, things you found useful or unexpected.

I imagine it is worth trying if for nothing else then to get the experience of dealing with others and to build some confidence in hearing both “yes” and “no”.

Anyway, I would love your input and stories about this.

Thanks guys,

Travis

I’ve done this a lot with my other business — http://www.bragbags.com.au (which is now 10 years old). Well, I did it a lot at the beginning.

Most important step is to analyse and determine your top 3 profiles (customers). Then see where they hang out, blogs, websites, facebook. Then approach those businesses.

They’ll be interested because it is a good match for their audience. And you’ll benefit because you’ll get advertising directly into your target profiles.

If you don’t do the profiles to start with, you’re wasting your time.

Jenny

sunnyfox
    Up
    Jenny Spring, post: 165113 wrote:
    Most important step is to analyse and determine your top 3 profiles (customers). Then see where they hang out, blogs, websites, facebook. Then approach those businesses.

Hey Jenny,

As usual, very good advice. I am not a blogger, so I was having a tough time thinking of where to find the right type of blog. So this will help tremendously.

Thanks again,

Travis

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

You start off by going to Nuffnang and Digital Parent, they are organisations that help bloggers so have a high concentration of bloggers involved with them.

sunnyfox
    Up
    SuzsSpace, post: 165145 wrote:
    You start off by going to Nuffnang and Digital Parent, they are organisations that help bloggers so have a high concentration of bloggers involved with them.

Hi SuzsSpace,

Just had a quick browse through the two sites, really good links, thanks for the advice!

Best,

Travis

SuzsSpace
    Participant
    • Total posts: 692
    Up

No problems. Good luck with it all.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.