Home – New Forums Tell me straight… Your feedback was priceless, thank you.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    byronsmith
    • Total posts: 7
    Up
    ::

Recently I put forward a logo for my company and the feedback received was very much appreciated.

I’ve since spent a few weeks throwing together a little site. I’m hoping you would be kind enough to provide some feedback once again.

http://goo.gl/4QhQB8 (Apologies for not posting the original URL, this was done for a reason)

I’ve tried to maintain the playful theme, but worried it may not work in my favour.
    I also realise my grammar my be a little poor in place, but I’ll work on this next. The main idea is to make sure you, as a user, know exactly what is on offer?

Thanks alot,
    Byron

original thread:
    http://www.flyingsolo.com.au/forums/index.php?threads/im-going-crazy-here-feedback-please.39958/

gingerbeardhs
    • Total posts: 90
    Up

Hi Byron,

I like it. It’s clean, laid out and to the point. Did you make it yourself or use a template (I’d like to check it out if it’s a template).

There are only a couple of minor things I’d change:

I’d get rid of the live chat, unless you are going to have someone there, I’d especially hide it on a small screen, it uses up real estate.

I’d perhaps make the phone number a tel: link for phones

I’d put in a real map instead of a picture of one.

Those are a personal taste component only, it doesn’t turn me away

byronsmith
    Up

Hah, loving the business name Ginger Beard! Thanks for the feedback.

– I made the theme and the functionality of the service search myself, but the backend CMS is ‘OctoberCMS’ – a very clean and quite powerful CMS too. The bonus is it uses a coding framework I’m familiar with so that helps with development. If you’re interested in your own copy, send me a PM and we can sort something out.

– Re chat, it is manned by myself and another during the opening hours and thankfully all communication is done through the app. When you say it takes up real estate, was this on Mobile or Desktop? Unless of course you meant when it’s ‘offline’ then remove it from the page? If so, I completely agree! Job done.

Thank you for the tel: tip, great idea.

The location map image was done for performance reasons, I was trying to avoid loading yet another remote javascript library, but I completely get your point and will definitely see what performance differences I get with adding a live map.

Appreciate your time.

Paul – FS Concierge
    Keymaster
    • Total posts: 3,488
    Up

Hi Byron,

For me there are a loot of great parts of the site but most of them are buried on the inside pages which are really hard to find.

If your goal is to be found locally on Google, I don’t think the way you have structured the site will work particularly well – [USER=6375]@JohnW[/USER] may be able to give some advice.

Personally, I am not a fan of the background and white lettering at all.

On the flip side, I love the fixed prices and the price tags on services – they are very attention grabbing.

Greg_M
    • Total posts: 1,691
    Up

I rather like it too, wasn’t too sure about the background image but the more I played around it grew on me.

The CMS you’re using looks interesting, your source code isn’t full of the usual WP stuff…small note…your source code has two meta viewport tags, one is “user scalable no” the other is different, not sure if this is an error or not?

I agree with [USER=84763]@gingerbeardhs[/USER] that a live map would be nice, but also understand why you don’t want to load anymore JS…have you seen these guys?

https://www.mapbox.com

I currently use them on a site aimed at mobiles that really needs a map, but already was using way too many JS widgets/libraries…I just imbedded one of their https iframes and edit the map in my account with them. I found their map styles had a visual edge (imo) over Google maps.

I’ll defer to the marketing/SEO experts here, but I thought the layout and call to action was clear and simple, add in the testimonials and I thought it all was fine (shows how much I know I guess).

Well done.

bb1
    Participant
    • Total posts: 4,485
    Up

Ok, like you said there are some grammar issues, etc. But you can work through those.

I am just wondering if you have ever considered a career change, it started with your logo, and now with you web design, both in my opinion, have been far better than some of the so called logo or web designers or marketers who come on here spruiking their services. I think you have another calling.

Its clean, its crisp, and it grabs your attention. Take the advise from the [USER=84763]@gingerbeardhs[/USER] and [USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] onboard, and hopefully some others may chip in with some other suggestions. But you have nailed the grab my attention, and make it readable test.

J.Zkan
    • Total posts: 87
    Up

Really love the look of your website, great job!

Easysmb
    • Total posts: 84
    Up

Hi Byron
    Some feedback.
    1. If your potential clients’ are tech dumb person, is it better for you to put up the traditional navigation menu? like service, rates, etc.
    2. Mouse hover on home page “service”, it is not turning not normal “hand shape” mouse.
    3. Hiden service make the landing page a bit unbalanced.

Overall website, clean and nice.

Good luck.

byronsmith
    Up

[USER=78928]@Paul – FS Concierge[/USER] – I agree, I feel the pricing should be more visible from the get go. After all, that is why users have come to the site to buy a service, so I really shouldn’t convolute the process of finding them. Thank you. Taken on board.

[USER=38207]@Greg_M[/USER] Well spotted! I knew you guys were helpful I didn’t expect a fine tooth comb helpful. Appreciate your time. I settled for a google map iframe, although, mapbox does look very tasty. I’ve since added it to the toolbox for future dev.

[USER=53375]@bb1[/USER] What a kind thing to say. Truth be told, I cannot stand CSS, it’s far too susceptible to ‘CSS explosion’ even if care is taken to make sure no style creep occurs. In addition to that, due to my somewhat pixel perfection I find it takes me ages to move divs into their correct positions, so it puts me off designing sites professionally. I get frustrated doing it for myself, heaven knows what it must be like with a customer breathing down your neck. Thanks for the feedback.

@J.Zkan cheers :)

[USER=80732]@Easysmb[/USER] Top marks! Very valid points. I was hoping that by putting a text box and inviting users to type what they want would make it appear more user-friendly, but I think you’re right. Users are all too familiar with seeing menus, so it seems odd to remove them. Look what happened to Windows 8 and the start button. Everyone had a meltdown because their menu didn’t appear when pressed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.