Home – New Forums Tech talk Your first computer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    ::

Brad, are you intending to release an update version for us to use in our businesses as a “secret weapon”? It might be just what we need.

bradzo
    • Total posts: 335
    Up

Hey Paul!

Hahah!

“Controller” – an update for the naughties! LOL I can just see it now…. :)

I just love this forum. So many great people.

Have a great remainder of your Sunday everyone – we have some friends over now, so I need to “go and mingle” :)

All the best for next week folks – I wish the best for everyone.

Cheers
    Brad

CruzAccountant
    • Total posts: 195
    Up
    Astrid, post: 27343 wrote:
    Oh, oh, memory lane …

1993, after working for 10 years without computer, my first computer was that one here.
    Our secretary used this one.

They were slow – but VERY reliable.

The one your secretary used – I remember that from school!

First computer I bought … let me see… I think it was a x286. I was probably running windows 3.1, although I do remember running games from DOS using commands like cd/ or cd.. then c:.

BrightSpark
    • Total posts: 131
    Up

T1100 was a laptop manufactured by Toshiba in 1985, and has subsequently been described by Toshiba as “the world’s first mass-market laptop computer”. The model featured no hard drive and used floppy disks instead. The CPU was a 4.77 MHz Intel 80C88, a variation of the popular Intel 8088. The display was a monochrome, text-only 640×200 LCD.
    Specifications
    CPU Intel 80C88, 4.77 Mhz
    RAM 256 kb, upgradable to 640 kb
    Keyboard 83 keys, QWERTZ
    Drives no harddrive; internal 3,5″ floppy drive, 720 kb; external 5,25″ floppy drive, 360 kb
    Operating System MS-DOS 2.11
    Screen Resolution Graphic mode: 640×200; Textmode: 80×25
    Weight 4.1 kg
    File:Toshiba_T1100_In_Betrieb.jpg

netshmoozer
    • Total posts: 4
    Up

I remembered our first computer but forgot the year. It basically used disks like this –>one<--. The monitor was black and white and crashes like crazy. Vintage.

peppie
    • Total posts: 525
    Up
    netshmoozer, post: 28000 wrote:
    I remembered our first computer but forgot the year. It basically used disks like this –>one<--. The monitor was black and white and crashes like crazy. Vintage.
    A 5 1/4″ floppy,,, I still have a drive or 2 around that will read them, high or low density version too! Even have a few less than 1GB hard drives also!! Quite a jump considering we are now using USB keys with capacity waaaay in excess of the early hard drives, and in my life time too.
    Michael Milgrom
    • Total posts: 11
    Up

Back in 1988-89 I got a Toshiba laptop with a 40 mg Harddrive and orange screen. It was about $4000 then and it worked well for five or six years. It was prewindows days and I would program in Clipper on it to write business applications.

Past-Member
    • Total posts: 1,815
    Up

I go back to before computers and after many years in other studios set up my own studio and rented my own Compugraphic typesetter with black screen and everything had to be coded (similar to CSS nowadays). If you didn’t understand coding or maths then your typesetting galleys would come up all over the place. At the time I loved it and also had a Repromaster bromide machine to make all the bromides and dotted screen photo prints for magazine and newspaper printing.

Then I thought everything was amazingly about to change when I first had an Amstrad which had 8k ram and 64kb hard drive, a 5-1/4″ floppy and a 3″ floppy, plus an Apple Laserwriter 300dpi. Both were so expensive to lease. I was one of the first to install a separate line and lease a fax machine. When computers began I also used that line to modem files to output at an service provider on imagesetters. One page would take up to 2 hours to transmit. If the line cut out, you had to begin again.

How times have changed. I now have a Mac with 8G ram to facilitate all the programs I have open at once, various screens and use the internet all day long as part of my work.

Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up

It would have been some time around 1983 or 1984 and it was my Dad’s old IBM computer from his work. It had a green screen, ran an early version of DOS and a massive separate 3 bay 8in floppy drive. It used to run his companies accounting software and think he paid something like $15,000 for it at the time! I think we sold it shortly afterwards for about $20 to someone who would come and collect it!

After that was of course the Commodore 64 with tape drive. I remember buying one game and every time you died it had to load the whole game again from the tape which took something like 5-10 mins. So easy to copy games though – just put it in your double tape deck getto blaster and make a copy.

After that a orange screen XT with 5 1/2 inch floppy drive. Many an hour wasted playing Leisure Suit Larry, Space Quest, Kings Quest etc..

I think we missed the 286 and when straight to a 386. Remember the old turbo button on those? Why would you want it run at 12mhz when you could turbo it up to a super fast 25mhz?

Dave.

Dave Bockett
    • Total posts: 97
    Up
    peppie, post: 28013 wrote:
    A 5 1/4″ floppy,,, I still have a drive or 2 around that will read them, high or low density version too! Even have a few less than 1GB hard drives also!! Quite a jump considering we are now using USB keys with capacity waaaay in excess of the early hard drives, and in my life time too.

I think that is actually an 8in floppy. Apparently when they first came out they held a whole 100k of data!

Dave.

soliddata
    • Total posts: 392
    Up

I had to get in on this one…

Dad (an old farmer and country store owner) bought a computer in 1981 – an Osborne1 Portable (known later as a “luggable”). See photo here. It was an awesome computer, and had a lot of the precursors to the PC boom, including twin-floppies, lots of bundled productivity applications, portability, etc. I learned to program in BASIC using this one.

I migrated from that to an XT IBM (the forerunners to the x86 series), with twin floppies etc also (no HDD when I got my first one). I had a green scren and my mate down the road had the same machine but with a 10Mb hard drive and a 16 colour screen (I think thats how many – lots of pink anyway).

I remember all the games Dave mentioned, and would add the Ultima series into his list – started me off on a course of preferring to play games instead of doing homework…

Kev

Viewing 11 posts - 16 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.