Create a killer USP in 5 minutes
Use this fill-in-the-blanks technique to create an effective unique selling proposition (USP) for your business.
When I ask my small-business clients to tell me, in two sentences, what they do and what makes them different they groan.
They open their mouths, mumble, look at their feet for inspiration, or possibly a quick escape, and then apologise because they can’t do it.
That is, until I came across this quick and clever way for them to write their USPs.
American copywriter and ex-comedian Kevin Rogers developed a simple fill-in-the-blanks method for writing USPs and coined it The Rebel Yell. And I yelled with excitement.
Finally: a foolproof, easy way to write your USP.
Your USP is the ‘what you do’, the ‘why you do it’, and the ‘why someone will buy it from you’.
"Your USP is the ‘what you do’, the ‘why you do it’, and the ‘why someone will buy it from you’."
The fill-in-the-blanks technique helps you clarify these ‘whats’ and ‘whys’, and forces you to think clearly about your offer. It is brilliant, easy, and a must-do for every business owner.
Here you go:
My name is __________________, I love _______________ but was fed up with _______________. So I created ______________ that ___________________________.
Here are some handy rules to follow when you write your Rebel Yell.
- keep it to two sentences
- describe what you have done, rather than what you will do
- keep your product names out of the sentences
- don’t over-think or overcomplicate
- this is the beginning of a conversation, not an end. Make it intriguing in a conversational way
- solve a problem for people
- keep it simple and clear
- think of your very best repeat customer: what words do they use to talk about you?
- write it for one person, not a group
Want more articles like this? Check out the business marketing section.
Want to see what some of my customers came up with – in about five minutes?
- My name is Mel, I love getting compliments about how young I look, but was fed up with horrible chemicals in my moisturiser. So I created a natural skincare range that feeds my skin with only the purest, chemical-free ingredients.
- My name is LeeAnne, I love going to the beach with my daughter but was fed up with all the racy or boring bathers that were in the shops. I couldn’t find anything girlie and modest, so I created my own swimwear business for little girls to let them enjoy the beach and love what they are wearing as well.
If you are finding this really hard, you are probably overcomplicating it. Close your eyes and picture what your best customer has told you about your business. Why do they love your products and services?
Once you’ve filled in the blanks, say it out loud.
Does it flow? Does it sound different to your competitors? Does it roll off the tongue easily?
Try it out on someone. What is their response? Do they say, “that sounds interesting, can you tell me more?”
With your Rebel Yell, you are not only defining who you are, you are also giving your customers the phrases they can say to their friends to start word-of-mouth marketing. Find opportunities to say – or yell? – your USP out loud, and watch how it draws customers to your business.
What’s your killer USP? Create it using the fill-in-the-blanks technique, and share it in the comments.