Podcast: How to build a global surf brand
Rip Curl founder, Bryan Singer talks to Tim Reid about one of the world's most iconic surf brands.
In this revealing Small Business Big Marketing podcast Bryan Singer takes us deep inside the Rip Curl tent where he shares:
- How the business came to be.
- Stories behind the early days of operating out of a small shop with one sewing machine.
- Why the name Rip Curl.
- What that moment was like when he realised they were on to something.
- How they managed incredible growth and went global.
- How they managed the scarier times.
- The importance of brand values and company values (and what the difference is).
- How they go about seeking customer feedback.
- He even shares how he’d like to be remembered.
Oh, and the quote of the interview? When asked how Rip Curl began, Bryan responds …
“We were just looking for a quid to fund our next surfing holiday.”
**Warning – the audio quality is a bit hit and miss on this interview. Bryan was shuffling papers which was a little distracting at times. But if you persevere you’ll pick up some gold ;0) **
The Small Business, Big Marketing podcasts are characterised by plenty of chit chat from Tim who’ll typically kick off with nuggets of advice and tell shaggy dog stories before diving into the episode’s topic.
Sit back, relax and enjoy! 44:66 minutes
To subscribe to this show in iTunes, please head here.