Podcast: How to get millions of dollars of free exposure
Since starting the Messages On Hold business in 1988 from his bedroom in Perth, Kym Illman has used guerilla marketing to generate tens of millions of dollars worth of free TV and press exposure at some of Australia’s largest sporting events.
His marketing tool of choice is the little-understood strategy of Guerrilla marketing (AKA ambush marketing).
Sacked from a cushy TV station job in 1988, Kym has achieved unpaid coverage at major sporting events including Cathy Freeman’s run at the 2000 Olympic Games, AFL grand finals and Melbourne Cups!
Whilst they’ve got him in to some hot water, they have also contributed to the success of the Messages On Hold business which is now turning over sixteen million dollars annually.
Topics covered in this Small Business Big Marketing podcast include:
- The trials and tribulations of starting the business.
- What is guerrilla marketing?
- How to implement a guerrilla marketing campaign.
- Examples of guerrilla marketing.
- What constitutes outstanding customer service?
- What can a business do right now to amp up their customer service?
- The power of diversifying into other businesses – is it a good idea?
- Plus Kym tells us why two of the Top Gear hosts stayed at his house!
About these podcasts: The Small Business, Big Marketing podcasts are characterised by plenty of chit chat from Tim who’ll typically kick off with nuggets of advice and tell shaggy dog stories before diving in to the episode’s topic. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
Duration: 45:50 minutes
Links to resources mentioned in the show: http://smallbusinessbigmarketing.com/marketing-podcast-what-is-guerrilla-marketing/
To subscribe to this show in iTunes, please head here.