Podcast: RedBalloon’s Naomi Simson talks happiness
Imagine running a business based on happiness – that’s what Naomi Simson decided to try when she left a serious corporate career to set up online experience retailer RedBalloon in 2001.
Since then RedBalloon has sold 1.8 million experiences and has been named a BRW Great Place to Work four times running. Naomi received the 2008 National Telstra Business Women’s Awards for Innovation and the 2011 Ernst and Young Industry Entrepreneur of the Year Award. Not a bad little effort, huh?!
Here’s the question that are covered in this Small Business Big Marketing podcast:
- Why did you decide to start a business based on happiness? Were you incredibly unhappy at the time?!
- Some small businesses set out to own a word. How do you ensure Red Balloon owns happiness? With customers and staff?
- Tell us about those early days of getting Red Balloon off the ground.
- Was there a point where you thought this is way too hard?!
- Tell us about that moment when you thought, huh, this is gunna be big.
- Can you put some numbers around it now – turnover, staff #, traffic, suppliers.
- How do you market Red Balloon? What works best? What role does social media play?
- What keeps you up at night?
- You’ve built a strong personal brand. You are a regular keynote speaker and you blog at NaomiSimson.com – what is your strategy behind this?
Here are three marketing gems to take-away from this interview:
- The power of a business owning a word.
- Social media is not a silver bullet.
- Blogging can be sued to catalogue your thoughts.
About these podcasts: The Small Business, Big Marketing podcasts are characterised by plenty of chit chat from Tim who’ll typically kick off with nuggets of advice and tell shaggy dog stories before diving in to the episode’s topic. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
Duration: 39:44 minutes
Links to resources mentioned in the show: http://smallbusinessbigmarketing.com/naomi-simson-red-balloon/
To subscribe to this show in iTunes, please head here.