Copywriting tip: Write about your business process
If you offer a service, you may get more customers by writing about your business process. Find out why writing about your process is so important, and exactly how to do it.
What is a process?
Your process is made up of the steps you take to get a job done for your customer.
Why write about it?
When reading your marketing copy, prospects slowly build barriers that stop them engaging with what you’re saying. By explaining your process, you can break down those barriers.
Failing to outline how your service works could prevent prospects from contacting you completely. That’s why I refer to the act of writing about your business process as: Process Persuasion, because by explaining your process, you persuade people to do business with you.
An example of barrier building
Let’s say that you offer the service of life coaching. A prospect who doesn’t know exactly what life coaching refers to, or what your business process is, may think the following:
"When reading your marketing copy, prospects slowly build barriers that stop them engaging with what you’re saying."
- I want to call, but I don’t know where to start or what to say.
- If I call him, he might try to change my life over the phone.
- I’ll probably have to stop doing all the things I enjoy.
- He’ll come into my house for each coaching session and probably won’t leave.
- What if I don’t get any value from the coaching? I’ll lose my hard-earned money.
An example of barrier breaking
There are thousands of life coaches around the world, and every single one of them will have a slightly different process.
Below, I have written some copy for a fictitious life coach. As you can see, the process provides reassurance for many of the above fears.
Want more articles like this? Check out the business writing section.
My life coaching process in five simple steps:
- Give me a call and say, ‘I think I need a life coach.’
- In a free, 30-minute telephone consultation I will explain exactly what life coaching is, and I’ll assess whether you’re suitable for my six-week program: Revolutionise Your Life!
It’s important to note that my program isn’t about telling you what to do, it’s about putting you in the driver’s seat of your life, so that you make decisions about what you really want from life.
- If you’re suitable, I’ll email you a questionnaire and details about my payment plan. (You can already view my pricing on this website. I am completely transparent about how much you will need to invest to get the life you’ve always wanted.)
- Over six weeks I will call you twice a week, with each call lasting 45 minutes. (Midway through the program we’ll assess how you’re going. If for any reason you’re not happy with the program, I’ll refund your investment.)
- At the end of six weeks you’ll have finished the program and will automatically be a Premium Member, which means you’ll receive weekly life tips and advice via email to keep your momentum going.
Your process can persuade
Even if you have a business that seems straight forward, your process may help prospects to choose your service over a competitor’s. So remember, write about your process, because your process can persuade!
Have you written about your business process, and does it entice customers to do business with you?
For more sales-boosting copywriting tips, click here.