ckgdesign

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #1223201
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    LunaMarga, post: 270005, member: 55789 wrote:
    Thanks for your feedback. What do you mean by “the hierarchy of the website” please?
    Hierarchy referes to what you see first, second, third, fourth (etc). You’re trying to show 2 or 3 things ‘first’, nothing really second or third. So, from that point of view it’s difficult for a visitor get a grasp of what they need to see. What draws the eye could be size, colour, font and so on. It’s important that elements that are ‘first’ aren’t too close to each other.
    #1223160
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    The governing body website for food and beverage packaging labels is here: https://www.foodstandards.gov.au/foodsafety/standards/Pages/Foodpackaging.aspx

    You should be able to find it on there.

    #1223198
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    It’s really hard to get a grasp of the service you’re offering, and the hierarchy of the website is too difficult for most people to understand in a small amount of time.

    The large photo of the flower, and large photo of yourself, when I’m introduced to a brand new site and extremely overwhelming. Your use of typography is all over the place too, which doesn’t help. Users expect some sort of consistency, and your website doesn’t offer this from a visual point of view.

    #1223165
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    Stickermule is a good one – and higher quality.

    #1215936
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    Oziecom, post: 260433, member: 93591 wrote:
    I’d also suggest investigating website builder services like Squarespace, Wix, Weebly etc. With respect to the site developers that have offered services, you can stand up a pretty fair looking site with these services to get you going.

    I’ve done this with squarespace. Their design templates are top notch.

    Many a business owner has spent months of work and burned a ton of cash, when in reality a base website with a modern design will adequately do the job- at least in the interim.
    Oh jeez, don’t this this.

    Get yourself a professional, [USER=111155]@35William[/USER] – it sounds like you want a good job done.

    #1215792
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    This would be interesting to follow. I bet it’s not clear because the paths businesses take are usually varied.

    #1166325
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    Caron, this sounds awesome. I’ve been starting to this about working at a place like this, and it seems like a good place to start.

    Thanks!

    #1203202
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    Johny, post: 241104, member: 34822 wrote:
    I have never yet heard anyone say I will do business with you because I like your logo, but many have said they will work with me because of reputation, service, my perceived knowledge and experience.

    I’m sure they have.

    However, I can guarentee you’ve made a purchase or used a service based on what a company looks like from a visual point of view, haven’t you? You look at a website, shopfront, product and say to yourself, I’m not buying that using their service because of its visual appeal. Whether that be expensive or cheap. I can guarentee that you might choose a more premium or lesser product based on its visual style. But, you don’t TELL the company that you did/didn’t use their service because of it.

    Johny, post: 241104, member: 34822 wrote:
    Is there a subconscious element that revolves around colours, fonts, etc. I believe there is. The question is then how much value should I place on that? For me, it is not enough to warrant the cost, and I’d prefer to focus on other stuff.

    …So, you contrasted the first point you made with this second point

    Johny, post: 241104, member: 34822 wrote:
    A few years go I was looking to have a website developed. I contacted numerous website developers and designers in Australia. They had great logos and webpages, and yet somehow weren’t able to pick up the phone or return emails.

    Oh damn! Every designer must be the same then! Just like every doctor, every lawyer, every gardener, every builder!

    Johny, post: 241104, member: 34822 wrote:
    I think I said in a comment somewhere above that if people are getting the $5 logo, then they also don’t see the value in paying more for one. And if that is the case, it is the designers who haven’t done a good enough job in selling the benefit of what they provide.

    If you believe that, then that’s fine. And, you’re right.

    I can’t try and pursude someone like you. If someone values how their company is represented visually, then I want to talk to them. If they don’t really care, then I’m obviously not the right person for them.

    #1203121
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    Susie75, post: 241106, member: 75608 wrote:
    ckgdesign, Is that a direct question to me? I don’t know, what can you say?!
    I see you’re a designer so I’m not surprised you feel like that but I have a logo I like and I’m happy with, so I’d say I got a bargain for $5. Perhaps people get talked into paying thousands of $ outlay when setting up a business that is completely unnecessary :)
    You didn’t [necessarily] get a bargain. You spent $5 on an image which you think represents your company when it [may not]

    :)

    [Moderator note – text in brackets added to remove inflammatory tone]

    #1203192
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    Johny, post: 240987, member: 34822 wrote:
    If I own a small bedware shop called “Johny’s Jim Jams”, with a small retail outlet and an online presence, what value do I get from paying someone for a logo?

    As a small business owner, do people come in to my store because they saw a logo or do they come in because they know what I sell, like my service, through referrals and repeat business, because of my marketing strategy which may include a small logo in the top left corner or my materials, etc. Do they visit my online store because of a logo or, as Mr Eatyourveggies suggests, because of my domain name?

    Yes, as my business grows into a large entity and I become the guru of all things jim jam related, I understand a logo becomes part of “who I am” as a business. Different fonts and different pantones provide a specific point of reference.

    If however, at the initial stages, the logo is only a small reflection of what I am, then is it even necessary to spend money on it.

    I have always believed companies gain a reputation, good or bad, as a result of their quality and actions. Indeed, I could cite many companies that once had a good reputation, but due to cost cutting or various other reasons aren’t looked at the same way. Nothing to do with logo and all to do with their quality and actions.

    Your logo helps dictate your brands image.

    You can set a tone and mood with your logo. You can demonstrate, through one image, if you brand is expensive or cheap. You can appeal to a target audience / demographic straight away, through the use of your logo. You mighn’t even realise it as a consumer.

    Why do you even bother styling your website or choosing a nice theme or fonts or anything if you can sell based on your so called reputation alone?

    Stick Johny’s Jim Jams in Times New Roman and watch the dollars roll in.

    #1203190
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    I love have Bert decides to say:

    Google $0
    Nike $35
    Coca Cola $0

    And that like… sets the tone for all businesses. What a joke. So many millions of other “successful” businesses rocking out on a $0 logo, aren’t there Bert? They’re all killing it just like Google, Nike and Coca Cola, right?

    What a rubbish type of post yours is. You could say the same thing about basically every single industry. And, you call it a trap if you pay any more for a logo? You’ve got to be kidding me.

    You might not place and value on a logo, Bert, and I don’t care. You aren’t the type of customer I want, as a designer, anyway. I want to be someone who tries to design your logo in the correct direction. I don’t want to be someone who designs for the sake of it, or based on current trends. You’re welcome to spend your money as you wish. I’m not going to try and fight for your business because I know you place no value on what I create or what any designer creates.

    Nike’s logo cost $0, yeah? Perhaps that’s the case, but look at the net value of the logo right now. Look at how well it sells. Like Apple, it’s the face of their entire company with one small symbol. The Nike logo MAKES the Nike product. It’s so prominent on all their shoes for example (Bert – you may not have recognised it because you place no worth on a logo) and consumers want to be seen with that logo on their feet. Apple has a one colour product with their logo on it and basically nothing else. Take the logo away… do you think people will continue to buy the product….? Go and ask Nike and let me know what they say.

    Your post infurates me. It’s people like you who will head over to 99designs and fiverr and pay absolutely no one to make a logo and crowdsource. How would you feel if I asked 200 people to mow my lawn and decide to pay one person. AND, on top of that, these “designers” on those websites couldn’t care less about your business at all. Professional designers dont go on there and find business. Professional designers look into your company, try and create a logo for your target audience and demographic and create a visual solution. They communicate a message. Anyone can throw a few gradients together and thats what you’re buying with 99designs / fiverr. Ask the “logo designer” on those sites if you can you use the typeface anywhere? Do you get sued if you’re seen with a copyrighted symbol or typeface and you’re using it? How do you use the logo for a spot colour job, how do you convert it to CMYK / RGB, convert it to SVG, use it correctly with a style guide.

    A logo is a piece of the package too. So much branding stems from a logo. Your pallete is basically a lock when you get sent that final logo design. Look up colour theory and tell me what colours convey the right message for the logo, for your company, for your brand image.

    You might think consumers don’t care. But they do. You go to The Reject Shop or JB Hi-Fi and based on their logo, branding and presentation, you can tell straight away that you believe you’re going to get a cheaper product. Right?

    Or is a logo useless?

    It’s not the cost of the logo, you’re right. It is the quality. But so many other factors play a role, and in your example, you’re stating that all good logos are cheap. Some companies pay thousands for their logo and it’s so successful, but you’ve decided to leave all of those companies out of your example, haven’t you?

    #1203110
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    Building the most important image of your business from a $5 logo. What can I say?

    #1201981
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    I agree with Easysmb. This looks a long way off the way it should. You need to get a professional.

    #1201855
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0

    In my opinion, the site looks kinda cheap. For a wedding, people want to feel special and when a premium price is involved, the design should follow suit.

    It looks like you got a bunch of stock images, haven’t resized images properly, looks 10 years old, etc. It’s so important to convey a particular message and this is your store front. To me, it conveys cheap, slightly untrustworthy and not really ‘made with love’ like the name of your company suggests.

    Sorry for being kinda brutal from a design point of view, but.. it’s really not great.

    #1201794
    ckgdesign
    Member
    • Total posts: 48
    Up
    0
    Christina2590, post: 239242, member: 57952 wrote:
    Thank you for your advice, how would you suggest I make them softer? And when you say colour i’m assuming you are referring to the font colour?

    These aren’t the final pictures, I have just been playing around with them however will definitely be using Photoshop on the finial ones
    Type choice is the thing that’s going to make it feel softer along with colour choice as they’re the only two things on your label. Your type choice right now feels natural, like I mentioned, but doesn’t feel particularly soothing or… elegent. I’m guessing here, but I feel like you want the label to be white because it’s cheaper for you to create? If that’s the case, you need to choose a tone that demonstrates the product qualities through the use of colour and type.

    Yeah, you need to get stuck into those photos. They’re (along with the label design) going to help dictate the price point you can sell your products for.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 46 total)