News

Sydney LGAs move to lockdown and restrictions extended to 2 July

- June 25, 2021 2 MIN READ

The premier Gladys Berejiklian has extended restrictions across Greater Sydney to midnight July 2 and enforced stay at home orders for anyone LIVING or WORKING in four Sydney local government areas. The news comes as the state records 11 new cases of coronavirus reported to 8pm (six previously reported on Thursday morning) and an additional 17 cases overnight.

 

Effective as of 11:59pm tonight anyone who lives or works in the local government areas (LGAs) of Waverly, Woollahra, Randwick and City of Sydney will now be under stay at home orders.

There will now be only four reasons to leave your house

  • Shopping for food or other essential goods and services;
  • Medical care or compassionate needs;
  • Exercise outdoors in groups of 10 or fewer;
  • Essential work, or education, where you cannot work or study from home.

Businesses across the four local government areas will need to close unless they provide essential services such as grocery or food (takeaway) sales.

“Our aim is to be proportionate, said Berejiklian. “And yes, it will have an impact on businesses. Obviously, businesses like a gym – any indoor gyms won’t be open. Essentially if you live or work in those local areas you should not leave home except for the four reasons.

“Unfortunately, in this outbreak, we’re seeing too many examples of workers coming in from other areas, getting infected in the workplace but then passing on the infection to multiple clients,” the premier said.

“If you are someone who essentially works in those four local government areas – you are subject to the stay at home orders. That includes me – I don’t live in those areas – but I work in those areas. So I will have to stay at home from today, said Berejiklian.

Serious concerns for patrons at Joh Bailey

The Chief Health Officer Dr Kerry Chant said there were serious concerns for patrons who attended the Joh Bailey hair salon in Double Bay. Up to 900 appointments had taken place over the course of the past few week.

“I’ve got significant concerns for patrons and staff of the Joh Bailey salon in Double Bay, because we have at least three staff members who were working whilst infectious and with two confirmed cases amongst clients so far.

“I expect more cases to be detected over the coming days and I’m urging all clients and staff of Joh Bailey between June 15 and 23 to be tested and maintain quarantine as directed by NSW Health,” Chants said.

Police to come down hard on people shirking restrictions

NSW Police Deputy Commissioner Gary Worboys said while the state would not be introducing roadblocks, officers would be out in force to make sure people were abiding by restrictions.

“It is really important that people understand that our traffic and highway patrol are also engaged in an operation.

“They’re well aware of the public health orders to make sure that, especially leading into the holiday time, that people don’t travel when they should not travel. It doesn’t mean that there will be roadblocks. I want to make that really clear.

“But as police go about their normal duties, they will be stopping cars and they will be asking and people will produce licences and where there’s a need to take action, police will.”

 

Here’s why you need to upgrade your Flying Solo membership pronto!

  • Share your business journey in an exclusive member profile
  • Get free lifetime access to our Going It Alone digital course
  • Participate in members-only events and experiences
  • Boost your business’ visibility with a Directory listing

$149.95 + GST
Billed annually
  • Andrew Caska

    Caska IP Patent Attorneys

    'Flying Solo opened up so many doors for us - I honestly don't know where I'd be without it"