How to choose and use project software
Not all project software is created equal; take some time to define your current and future business needs.
Many soloists feel like it’s an enormous task to understand what the best project software and platform is for their business and style of working, that they retreat to long held habits – despite knowing this is not the most efficient way to work.
Usually it’s simply because there’s such a huge amount of choice available that it becomes overwhelming. So how can being mindful about choosing project software, help you manage your operations?
You’ll save time
A project platform implemented in the correct way will save hours of your precious time. Not only by utilising in-built automation capabilities, task allocation and internal communication platforms, but also by your project platform identifying your business priorities.
It will highlight any flickers of trouble before they fan into full-blown fires. In short you’ll have your finger square on the pulse of what needs to be done, by when and by whom.
"In short you’ll have your finger square on the pulse of what needs to be done, by when and by whom. "
Define best practice
All project platforms give you the ability to define best practice by creating a template or activity flow for what needs to happen for every project type within your business.
You’ll not only ensure that all tasks (even the ones that are forgotten when you’re super busy) are captured for completion – but also be able to define exactly how you want this completed meaning outsourcing and delegation become a breeze.
Clear picture of business
When we’re working on multiple projects, handling client calls, developing marketing content and need to book the car in for a service, it’s easy to lose track of where everything is at.
A robust project platform will provide a clear view of each project stage, tell you what everyone is working on and whether deadlines are being met. At any stage you’ll be able to view exactly where all your service deliverables are at. And that is operational gold.
With hundreds of project software available to us – how the hell do we choose
Ask yourself the following questions:
1. Will it fit your budget and can it grow with your business? What will your business look like in 2 or 5 years – can it handle the surge in projects and will it still be affordable?
2. Will it capture set project tasks and provide automated date and resource allocation? Can you define your project tasks and will they flow into users accounts?
3. What other automation features are available? Can you get creative and automate tasks and business functions? Will true automation benefit your business?
4. Can you communicate and collaborate via the platform? Will it streamline your team project communications?
5. What look and feel works best for you? Do you work best with a visual platform – does the platform compliment the way you work?
Not all project platforms are created equal. Before jumping in take some time to define your current and future needs, sign up and take a few for a test drive and when you’ve found the one – set it up properly to truly reap the reward.
What did you consider when choosing your project software?