With so many self-help books around, keeping up with the latest tips can be a major challenge for the time-poor solo business owner. Never fear, Big Noel sat down with a super-size latte and summarised just a few of the gurus’ tips.
Welcome to your daily recipe for bliss and prosperity:
1. Be sure to get eight hours sleep every night.
2. Eat five serves of vegetables and two serves of fruit.
3. Drink three litres of water every day.
4. Dress for success! Make yourself presentable before starting work.
5. Make your own lunch every day rather than buying it.
6. Take a nap in the afternoon to re-energise.
7. Do at least half an hour of exercise every day.
8. Don’t skip lunch – get out of the office to eat your sandwich.
9. Have dinner as a family – it’s important bonding time.
10. Spend 20 minutes planning tomorrow with a detailed to-do list.
11. Do one thing every day that scares you.
12. Make some quality time for your partner.
13. Make sure you get some ‘me’ time.
Want more articles like this? Check out the working from home section.
14. Read industry magazines to stay on top of trends.
15. Slow down – take time out to smell the roses.
Plus, there were a couple of little things I’d like to add but couldn’t find in the books:
16. Those of us with bills to pay will be required to spend some of the day doing actual work.
17. Some of us have dirty plates, carpets, kids, desks, bills and/or partners to clean up
And I noticed there was no mention of the tasks which are critical part of my day:
18. Read the sport and gossip section of the newspaper in-depth.
19. Go and buy a coffee and whinge for a while about how busy work is.
20. Discuss what you did last weekend with whoever will listen.
21. Make arrangements for next weekend.
22. Check Facebook in case old friends that you never liked have ‘poked’ you.
So there you have it. You will need to allocate 34 hours every day to getting all this stuff done and you will also need to shut down your business because customers just take up way too much time. But you’ll be so self-helped and revolutionised that you’ll never look back.
Anyway gotta rush and get my 20 minute power nap in before I steam my fifth serve of vegetables and prepare my bulging to-do list for tomorrow.
Is there a ‘must-do’ task I’ve forgotten?