Complaints & dispute resolution
Problems arise every day between businesses and their employees. Most problems between employers and employees relate to issues such as wages, awards and agreements, harassment or discrimination.
While there are many ways to resolve conflicts, most problems can be resolved through simple discussion and common sense between the parties involved. In virtually all instances, you should at first attempt to resolve a dispute through direct discussion and negotiation.
Establishing a process to resolve complaints is an important part of your legal responsibilities as an employer.
What to do…
- Read the Australian Human Rights Commission information about employer responsibilities and anti-discrimination policies and complaint handling for small business.
- Visit the Fair Work Ombudsman website for information on workplace rights and rules.
- Refer to the Fair Work Online website for help with workplace disputes.
- Contact the Fair Work Infoline on 13 13 94 for business assistance.
- See the list of advisors who provide dispute resolution advice for specific industries.
- Some industry associations provide assistance to their members – see our directory for contact details.
Find out about complaints and dispute resolution in your state or territory.