I wholeheartedly believe that you get what you ask for, so I’ve decided to tell the universe about a few soloist-friendly gadgets I reckon someone needs to invent quick smart.
Ever since Sam wrote about tools she finds fabulous for small teams like ours that work remotely from each other, I’ve been compiling a fantasy list of other things that would make life easier for soloists.
Here are my top 10:
- Warm gloves I can type in. As someone who works in a home office that gets chilly in winter, this is high priority. I’ve tried gloves of every thickness, but none are conducive to typing fast. Any recommendations?
- A way to block the phone calls from charities I receive every day, usually just as I’m deep in my creative process.
- A robot that makes tea just the way I like it and delivers it to my desk, along with a stunningly good neck and shoulder rub.
- A compact and attractive whiteboard you can actually clean, instead of one that permanently bears the imprint of ideas and to-do lists that are long gone.
- A device that gets ideas out of my head and onto paper or a screen purely using the power of thought. Ideally while I’m meditating or walking in the bush.
- A teleportation machine that lets me attend meetings and business networking events in person, without wasting time stuck in traffic or dealing with parking.
- A time-stretching device for when I’ve got more on my to-do list than I can feasibly achieve.
- A self-cloning device that lets me get more than one thing done at a time. You know, the important stuff, like going out to lunch in the sun while still managing to meet deadlines.
- A tyre kicker detector. A handy siren that gives off a warning when time wasters are approaching my vicinity would be just the ticket.
- Last but not least, could somebody please invent a money tree? When I was a kid, one of my great uncles had one on his farm. Whenever I went to visit, it had just borne fruit and he had some loot to dish out. I’m certain such trees still exist. If you have one could I please have a cutting from it so I can grow my own? (I’m assuming that with inflation, they now produce $100 bills rather than 2c coins?)
Want more articles like this? Check out the business technology section.
If you have some inventions you’d like to add that would benefit soloists, or if you know where I can get my hands on any of those listed above, please let me know.