Solutions for soloists who hate to sell, plus a homage to the simple life

- September 28, 2017 2 MIN READ

My intense dislike of the telephone was a running joke among my loved ones, until I became a parent.

This week’s must-read

Less time with adults has given me a new appreciation for the comfort of someone else’s voice and the validation of being listened to – albeit briefly!

Listening is also the best sales tool there is, writes Jo Macdermott this week in her column on soloists who hate to sell.

“Think about how you help solve your customers’ problems. What can you do to help them? Make the process more of a conversation than a sales pitch, and you can work towards finding a solution that helps them solve a problem, while you make a sale. It’s win-win.”

Soloist Life

Premium Member Richard Lucas has embraced a simpler life since flying solo. “Time spent cooking healthy food and doing regular exercise have replaced my two hour commute and I spend more time with my two year-old son. And if the pressure becomes too much, I get away to a park or café with my dog to unwind, without having to ask anyone for permission.”

In case you missed it…

“As with soloing, it’s nice to know you’re alone,” writes Maken25 on Andrew Griffiths terrific column from last week on 7 ways to stay positive in tough times, a piece that’s already been shared over 200 times.


While big corporate clients make up 70% of Rachel Kurzup’s copywriting business, there’s a reason her website speaks directly to the remaining 30%; freelancers on a budget, looking for specific results. Find out why on this week’s Flying Solo podcast.

Tech tip

Not all project software platforms are created equal; make sure you answer these five questions before making your final decision, writes Debbie Eglin.

From the forums

Soloism has stolen “the fun me” despairs member Roxanne. Forumite Corey thinks regular exercise will clear the cobwebs, Dennielle Lee says its mentoring and meditation, while our mod Dave asks the big questions: “Maybe it’s the business. The whole thing. Even if it improves do you really think you’ll get back all that fun and energy? Or will you just be even busier?”


“Flying is learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss”

British author, Douglas Adams via contributor Elissa Doxey.

What aspect of soloist life do you find most challenging? I’d love to hear from you in the comments.