Podcast: Business recovery after a disaster
In 2009 Dave Stirling lost five businesses in Victoria’s Black Saturday bush fires. Then, after rebuilding, his son was critically injured in a boating accident and was in a coma for months.
Dave talks about how he and his wife got back up and running with a new business – Tower Motel in Marysville, a lovely, quiet hotel in Melbourne’s gorgeous countryside, and why it was important to them they go back into business.
It took six months after the fires before Dave and his wife started talking about starting up another venture after losing everything. Family and community support gave them the encouragement to give it another try and now they have a small business that is starting to thrive again.
In this Small Business Big Marketing podcast, Dave shares his business wisdom about:
- What little things can make all the difference.
- Community and how it brings everyone together.
- How the kindness of strangers has helped in so many ways.
- Finding the ‘why you are in business’ and using that to motivate you.
- Looking around to see what else you can do to make a difference.
- Realising what is important in life.
- Having more than one business and how it was a blessing.
- Understanding who you are marketing to.
About these podcasts: The Small Business, Big Marketing podcasts are characterised by plenty of chit chat from Tim who’ll typically kick off with nuggets of advice and tell shaggy dog stories before diving in to the episode’s topic. Sit back, relax and enjoy!
Duration: 50:30 minutes
Links to resources mentioned in the show: http://smallbusinessbigmarketing.com/marketing-podcast-162/
To subscribe to this show in iTunes, please head here.